I also enjoyed the greens I got at the farmer's market.
A book I enjoy (although I, too, read books with whose authors I disagree) is Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. It's her family's year-long experiment in eating locally and growing/producing as much of their food as they can. A great read--if you read it this winter, you'll be inspired to plant an even bigger garden! I've read it twice now.
My favorite seed types so far:
- Bonbon squash (Park Seed Co)
- Mini spagetti squash (Park Seed Co)
- Diva cucumber (Park Seed Co)
- Jenny Tomato (orange cherry type)
- Celebrity Tomato
- Rutgers Tomato (I can find these at Lowe's in seedling form)
- Mr. Stripey Tomato (also at Lowe's in seedling form)
- Sweet Genovese Basil--maybe I'll plant an entire packet myself! :)
- Spinach Mustard (seeds at Lowe's)