Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Greens! (and favorite seeds)

I forgot! Yes--lettuce straight from the garden is a treat for sure! We enjoyed that this past spring immensely. I also realized that I really like the spinach mustard hybrid. And we ate our fair share of mustard greens as well--maybe they're better home grown because you can pick them early and/or eat them so soon after harvest. I agree that greens grown at home are much better than the storebought variety (not to mention that there is a better variety than at the store).

I also enjoyed the greens I got at the farmer's market.

A book I enjoy (although I, too, read books with whose authors I disagree) is Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. It's her family's year-long experiment in eating locally and growing/producing as much of their food as they can. A great read--if you read it this winter, you'll be inspired to plant an even bigger garden! I've read it twice now.

My favorite seed types so far:
  • Bonbon squash (Park Seed Co)
  • Mini spagetti squash (Park Seed Co)
  • Diva cucumber (Park Seed Co)
  • Jenny Tomato (orange cherry type)
  • Celebrity Tomato
  • Rutgers Tomato (I can find these at Lowe's in seedling form)
  • Mr. Stripey Tomato (also at Lowe's in seedling form)
  • Sweet Genovese Basil--maybe I'll plant an entire packet myself! :)
  • Spinach Mustard (seeds at Lowe's)

No comments:

Post a Comment