Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Canning Jars

Just a reminder to save all canning jar possibilities. If you want to actually can/seal things, I think you have to have jars that will fit the canning jar lids/seals. If you're just pickling stuff, you can get away with just about anything!

Local honey (at Pratt's and, eventually, the Fruit and Berry Patch) comes in canning jars. Peanut butter often comes in glass jars. Of course, pickles and things come in those jars, too! I bought a bunch of quart canning jars last year to store grains and beans in (the bugs can't get into them that way). I'm now trying to use up some of those supplies so I can use the jars!

You can also use quart jars to make yogurt in. Mmmm....

Any other uses, ladies? I'm gathering quite a collection of "trash" (I prefer to think of it as possible planters, canning jars, food preservation containers, and the like). I'm glad I have a basement, even if it is more radon risk :).

Today's gardening task: compost (if hubby is amenable) and transplanting seedlings (herbs, broccoli, peppers, tomatoes, etc.) into bigger pots (i.e. yogurt containers, cottage cheese containers, etc.). We'll see if it all gets done! The transplanting might be saved until a rainy day (i.e. tomorrow (sigh)).

No comments:

Post a Comment