Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Thinking about companion planting...

I'm considering picking up some corn. I'd love to get the colored kernels that you can make into popcorn so that it doubles for neat Christmas gifts, but we'll see... At any rate, I've been doing some reading on companion planting. The Native Americans used to do what they call the "Three Sisters" planting - planting members of the corn/bean/squash families together.

Apparently, you form a hill. In the very middle you would plant corn. Then, around the middle of the hill, you would plant the beans; and at the bottom of the hill you would plant your squash. The sister plants are: corn, beans, peas, sunflowers, white potatoes, squash, melons, cucumbers, and pumpkins.

Okay, so I know we have some sunflowers already, and I have spots picked for those so I'll probably just throw some beans/peas and squash in with them. I just mainly wanted an excuse to add some corn to my plan. LOL.

Can anyone help me with ideas for how to plant my herbs? I know some are invasive - but if they are planted with other herbs, does that mean they will eventually overtake the others as well? I have a place in the front yard by my mailbox/driveway that I'd love to use for a giant herb bed - so I'd love to know what would be a good way to plant the herbs for maximum capacity/usage. It's a wide-rounded pie shape if that helps...

Oh yeah - still looking for ideas on how to box in my big garden area. Anyone ever use landscape rock? I'm thinking that maybe with some hunting around, I may be able to find some decent rocks to use for this...

Oh - I just read that Larkspur companions with beans and cabbage!

2 comments:

  1. Here's how I've done herbs: I planted small oregano, marjoram, and thyme plants, and, while waiting for them to grow and take over, planted the annuals (basil, parsley, etc.) in between. They've filled in their areas, but are competitive enough with each other that they've kept themselves in check. I also cut them back. Rosemary is in a spot by itself because it's a beautiful shrub. Mint needs to be in a pot--even if it's partially submerged, or it needs to be in an area where it can be aggressive and not get in your way. It will TAKE OVER if given enough leeway :). This year, my annuals will move the garden itself because my herb garden is filling up with the spreaders....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking of using that big stone planter by my steps for the mint. I will probably have to move it so that it gets enough sun, but I figured that should keep it from overtaking my entire garden! LOL...

    Do you remember that area by the front of my driveway - by the mailbox? I was thinking of making that an herb garden. I figured I could do rosemary and lavender around the mailbox and the back left edge (if you are facing the back of the mailbox), then fill in the rest with the other herbs.

    Another little "hmmm" that I've had... I found some clumps of hens and chicks behind the RV. It actually looks like there may have been a raised bed or something there before - the soil looks fairly well worked. I'm thinking of planting some sunflowers in that area because it will get lots of sun. Anyway - can I move the chicks and hens? I'm not sure where I will put them yet, but I actually kind of like this little plant.

    ReplyDelete